Saturday, October 4, 2014

A Message: (This is NOT Shakespeare related)

While I am aware that no one will actually read this, I still thought that I would write a post explaining why I have not written anything on this blog, yet. As I mentioned in my initial post, this blog is being used for a Shakespeare class I am taking this semester. I am required to post at least twice a week, in order to receive full credit, but I have spent the last five weeks feeling stuck. This is partly because I did not feel like we had covered enough material to warrant bi-weekly responses, and partly because I have had a lot on my plate this semester, and I have not made this my priority. I wanted to start this blog, because I thought it would be fun, but it instead feels like a chore. In order to actually achieve something here, I am going to have to disregard the uploading schedule, and really view this as fun, as opposed to work. With that being said, I am going to start writing every day, (even if I do not have a lot to say), because I need to hold myself accountable. I know that this will not make up for the weeks that I did not post anything, but it is a start.

I also thought that I would take this opportunity to introduce myself. I know that my first post semi-achieved that, but I thought that I would elaborate, because it will explain why I have not posted thus far. It will have no impact on what I write for the class, but it will be useful for when this blog becomes my regular blog, come December. I am not usually the type to share personal information about myself, (especially on the internet) but I am making an exception.

My name is Chloe, and I am a twenty-something college student, residing in the beautiful state of California. I currently attend a community college, but I am in the process of figuring out what comes next. I will be graduating in the spring, and would like to continue at a four-year school, but I do not know where that will be, just yet. I am an English major, because I have an intrinsic love for reading, and while I clearly do not do enough of it, I enjoy writing as well. The main issue, is that I do not know what I am going to do with my degree when I am done with school. This ties back in to what I said about feeling stuck. I go to school because I want to be there, but I am not as motivated as my peers. Without divulging too much, I will just say that I recognize that if I am going to function at all in the "real world" I am going to have to work harder and do more, and while it seems like an insignificant step, maintaining a blog is one way to start that process. (It would be a way to prove that I am capable of finishing something that I have started, among other things).

On a different note, here is some other information that seems pertinent:

I am a Christian, a feminist, and a vegetarian, While this may seem irrelevant, all three are important to my development as a person, and shape how I view the world.

When I am not doing school related activities, I read and sing. Music is an integral part of my life, and I cannot imagine my life without it.

As my blog name indicates, I have a deep love for all forms of media. This includes books, television shows, movies, web series, musicals, etc. I am an Austen enthusiast, and much to the annoyance of my family, I am ready and willing to discuss her and her novels at all times. I also hold a special place in my heart for the web series'  The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, Nothing Much To Do, and Emma Approved. Both 'RENT' and 'Spring Awakening' are too important for words, and the television show Bones, will always be, (in my opinion) the greatest show of all time. I have read countless books, that I could list as my favorites, (The list would be too long) but generally listing Pride and Prejudice, Emma, The Kite Runner, Looking for Alaska, and Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing will give you an idea of what I find interesting. Not that this blog needs to focus entirely on media, (because it most likely won't) I am still going to use this space to express my ideas and opinions on the aforementioned shows. (In a similar vein to what people do on tumblr, just without all of the tags, re-blogs, and gif sets).

I think that starting this blog will be an exciting endeavor, and we will see what happens over the course of the next couple of months. Coming tomorrow: analysis and commentary on some of Shakespeare's sonnets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2019 Media List

While I am usually pretty aware of how much TV I watch in any given year, (spoiler alert: it's always a lot) for 2019, I decided to actu...