5) The Misselthwaite Archives: This charming series is a modern retelling of Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden. In this adaptation, Mary Lennox, is a surly, moody, sarcastic teenager who is sent to live with her Aunt and Uncle after her parents die in a car crash. She spends her time sulking, smoking, and generally feeling sorry for herself. It is not until she discovers a hidden glade, and befriends a man named Declan, that things start to improve in Mary's life.
Pros to Watching: A major highlight of the show, is the acting. Sophie Giberson, who plays Mary, is an acting powerhouse, and does a great job of leading the entire show. The writing is sharp, and the way that the creators have adapted certain elements of the plot, ( Like turning "Colin" into "Callie") is impressive. The show is filmed in Portland, Oregon, so the creators get bonus points for filming it in one of the most beautiful places/my favorite state. By far, the best part of the show, is the approach to filming and transmedia. The show incorporates vlog style filming, while also using a "cat cam" to capture scenes and conversations that you would not get to see if we only saw things through Mary's point of view. The transmedia, is what inspired me to watch the show, because the creators have turned the whole show into an archive of Mary's life. The archive includes therapy sessions, e-mails, family Christmas cards, report cards, college rejection letters, newspaper obituaries, etc. By doing this, the creators have been able to avoid some of the pitfalls that other web series have dealt with, in regards to the "in world" versus "out of world" debate. In a sense, everything we see on the show, has already happened, so we do not have to suspend disbelief when it comes to who can see these videos, and why filming is taking place. Overall, it is a beautifully executed show, that adapts one of my favorite books from my childhood.
Cons to Watching: The only con to this show, is that it does not post on a regular basis. Unfortunately, the creators have run into difficulties filming outside, due to inconsistent weather in Oregon. They have also run into problems with some of their other filming locations. As a result, the show is on an indefinite hiatus. We can all just hope that they can get back to filming soon, because this show is way too good, and the creators have worked way too hard, for things to not work out. In the meantime, the first twenty-eight episodes are currently online, and so is all of the excellent transmedia.
When the show does return, I will be writing posts about it on Mondays.
4) Northbound Series: Northbound Series, is a modern adaptation of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey. In this version, Catherine Morland is a recent high school graduate, who moves to New York City, where she will be attending college in the fall. The show just started, and is only four episodes in, so I cannot really comment on it yet. But, what I have seen so far, is great. The characterizations of both Catherine Morland, and Isabelle Thorpe, are spot on. I have not been looking at transmedia, yet, but it is something I will look at soon. It will be interesting to see how they adapt certain parts of the novel, but I have faith that the creators will do a good job. Northanger Abbey, is my second favorite Austen novel, and so while I have fairly high expectations, if the creators can effectively pull it off, it will be the first successful adaptation of the novel. It has only been attempted two other times, but both movies were horrendous. So, suffice it to say, I am excited to see what happens.
Future commentary on the series, will be written on Fridays.
3) All's Fair Play: While this show is technically not a literary web series, it is inspired by Shakespearian themes. The show is created by the amazing team that brought us The Autobiography of Jane Eyre. It includes several of the same actors and writers that brought us AOJE, but shows them in very different roles. I do not know much about the show, other than that it takes place in less than twenty- four hours, at a combined bachelor/bachelorette party. I can only assume that things will go awry, and it will make for a great comedy. Since only one episode has been released thus far, it is hard for me to comment on the show. But, I do know that it will be great. Nessa Aref, has a unique approach to filmmaking and directing that is not seen on other shows, and I know that it will be showcased here. The writing and acting are also bound to be good, because it is hard to imagine their follow up to AOJE being anything less than stellar. I am looking forward to everything this show has to offer.
I will be writing commentary and observations on Sundays.
This marks the end of this post. Part three will include my top two Summer 2015 web series picks.
No comments:
Post a Comment