I should preface this post by saying that I am writing this review as part of an assignment of sorts. With that being said, this review will provide insights on the text, but it will also serve to comment on whether or not the book seems to be an appropriate fit for a program my school does, called The Common Book, (Also frequently known as One Book, One College). In the next couple of weeks, I will be reviewing four books that have been nominated for 2016, and any book that is included in that will be clearly marked at the top of each post. As the title indicates, the first book is Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (2007).
True Diary, chronicles the life of Junior Spirit, as he works to overcome adversity and heartbreak, while dealing with people who do not always seem to understand or accept him. The novel reads just like a diary would, from the retrospective and non-linear style, to the almost self-deprecating first-person voice that Junior uses to talk about his life and circumstances. The novel primarily focuses on Junior's first year of high school, as he makes the difficult, but necessary decision to leave his reservation school, and attend a different school twenty miles away. It is through his experiences there, that Junior starts to make progress towards creating a better life for himself, and when he stops seeing himself and his life as one devoid of hope or meaning.
Much of Junior's internal struggles, are ones of identity and purpose. When he is on the reservation, he feels like a shell of himself, because he no longer feels like he belongs there, and most of the reservation occupants feel the same way, (like Junior betrayed them by choosing to leave). When he is at school, he also feels like he has a split identity, because he feels the need to conform to what white people want him to be, but also recognizing that he still does not fit in. This starts to change when he joins the basketball team. There he is seen as an equal, and is appreciated for his talent, and other people begin to see his values as well.
Despite having some very dark tones, and dealing with issues of racism, classism, death, and alcoholism and abuse, the book is primarily a funny one. Junior has a direct, clear, wit that lends itself to telling what could be a very depressing story, but turns into one that has real hope and resonance. It provides an important perspective on assimilation, and otherness, while also providing important commentary on the dangers of having myopic views, and the more positive outcomes of being open and accepting.
The novel is extremely accessible, and is moves quickly due to its precise direct language, and semi-conversational tone. It raises important points about assimilation and transition, that caters well to new freshman and transfer students. However, I would not recommend it for the Common Book. I think that it is a very good read, and that Alexie is a very talented writer, but it just is not the right fit for this program. This is due impart to the use of slurs, throughout the novel. Normally I am not one to morally police actions or language, but in this case, the use of slurs really bothered me, and it is the primary reason I cannot recommend the book. To qualify for Common Book, the title has to uphold core values of the school, and while it does in some aspects, it certainly does not here. The book tries to convey important messages about acceptance and growth, but then derails that message with the use of offensive language. While one can make the argument that the words are not meant to be used in an offensive or derogatory way, they still are, and it is something that cannot be overlooked. For the sake of this program, I think that there are other nominated books that do a more effective job of upholding core values, without being offensive. Overall Book Grade: B-.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2019 Media List
While I am usually pretty aware of how much TV I watch in any given year, (spoiler alert: it's always a lot) for 2019, I decided to actu...
-
With less than twenty-four hours until graduation, I have decided to try and finish all of these posts tonight. They are important to me, bu...
-
Since I am trying my best to complete these posts before tonight, I am going to continue by talking about the remaining squints. I really ca...
No comments:
Post a Comment