At long last, I have decided to start writing again. My reasons for taking an extended break are not important, but just know that I am back to work on some of the posts that I have had in my drafts for quite some time. I thought it would be a good idea to continue with my Bones posts, because that was the last thing I wrote about before my hiatus, and because the final season starts in seven weeks! With that being said, I will continue roughly where I left off previously.
In the time since my last post, I have had a lot of time to process that my favorite show is ending in March. During the end of the summer, I started to re-watch some episodes that I had either not seen in a really long time, or ones that deserved second consideration. Since then, I have made it up through half of season eight, and I hope to finish my partial re-watch by the end of December, right in time for the January 3rd premiere. In that time, I have also been revisiting character arcs, and I think I have a more specific and comprehensive final season wish-list than I did before. In this post, I will address some hopes I have for Hodgins, Angela, and Daisy as the series draws to a close.
Hodgins: Hodgins has always been my second favorite character, and he is one of the characters I will miss the most. He has had to overcome a lot of challenges and setbacks in recent seasons, and most recently has had to cope with his accident and resulting paralysis. While he seems to be processing his plight in a healthier way than he used to, (I.e. no longer taking his pain and frustration out on Angela) I think he still has a lot of recovering to do, both physically and emotionally. Whether he will have a miracle recover and be able to walk again remains to be seen, but it is ultimately not that important to me if he ever does. What is most important is that he continues to make decisions that make him happiest, and that he continues to repair his marriage with Angela. They have faced so many challenges together, and they have still made things work, and I have hope that they will be able to continue to work through this specific issue as well.
Prior to his accident, Angela and Hodgins discussed having another baby. While none of that seems feasible currently, I would be open to the possibility of it happening post-script. But, more than anything, I want them to continue to work on their marriage, and to spend time with Michael Vincent, as a happy family of three.
As far as his relationships with other people go, I want his close connection with both Booth and Brennan to continue, as well as his friendship with Wendall. Now that Zack is returning, I want to see how that relationship is reestablished, or even if it gets reestablished. Since it remains to be seen what Zack's motivations are, it is difficult to determine what should happen, but ultimately it would be nice to see the unresolved tension that exists between the two of them, to reach some type of closure.
Despite having a deep love and passion for his job, I don't actually see Hodgins staying at the Jeffersonian for the rest of his career. Part of what makes working there so great, is the family dynamic that exists between everyone. However, given the opportunity, I do think that Hodgins would decide to move on to other ventures. The bond that exists between the core characters is a life long connection, so even if some, or all of them make the decision to leave the Jeffersonian, they will still be a part of each others lives and families. The general consensus that I keep reiterating, is that I want everyone to be happy. If Hodgins can continue to work through some of his inner turmoil, I see that as a possibility.
Angela: While I have touched upon my desires for continued improvement in the Hodgela marriage, I have specific individual wishes for Angela as well. Even though she has been able to create a space for herself at the Jeffersonian, it has often been addressed that despite loving her friends and family, (Cam, Hodgins and Brennan specifically) her job has never left her completely satisfied. She always wanted to be an artist, and was fueled by her creativity and passion, and originally only took her job for the money. While she has considered leaving her job numerous times, she always decided to stay because her home was at the Jeffersonian. However, now that the series is ending, I actually would like to see her move on to other ventures. While she has an established life in DC, I think that she should travel the world, and get the most out of her life. Even though she does have agency in her own choices, I don't think she gives herself permission to put her needs first. I would like her to do that. She is such an incredible friend, and has always been Brennan's rock, but she can be that, and have more freedom to make individual choices. She is an incredibly strong woman, and I just want to see her push her dreams closer to the forefront of her objectives.
As with all of the characters, I want Angela to be satisfied and happy. I want her to maintain the relationships that she has spent the past decade and a half establishing, and I want her to be content as a mother, to Michael Vincent, but with the possibility of having another child in the future.
Daisy: Since Sweets' death, the role that Daisy has played on the show has been different. She has always had autonomy in her work and her relationships, but having her partner die, while being pregnant has changed how she approaches her life and work. She still understandably carries around a profound sadness, but it has not prevented her from being a good mother, or good at her job. In the past year, we have not seen much of Daisy, so it is harder to determine how she is doing emotionally, or what to expect from her final appearance (assuming she makes one).
I have always seen Daisy as a Brennan predecessor of sorts. While they have a lot of differences, specifically in personality, they are both driven, intelligent, dynamic, strong women who are really good at their jobs. While I always wanted Daisy to become the head Forensic Anthropologist at the Jeffersonian if Brennan were to leave, I am not sure that is what I want for her anymore. While she would be more than capable, I think now that given the events of recent years, she might not want that. While I still see her working at the top of her field, and I see her remaining close with the team, I don't think she will stay at the Jeffersonian.
Whether it manifests on screen, or is more of a post-script event, I would like Daisy to become a professor. Additionally, I would like her to raise her son, and be as happy as possible. Whether she chooses to remain single, or finds a new person to be with, I want her to feel satisfied with where her life is going. She has always been strong and driven, and that will never change, but with time and circumstance, some of her goals have changed. I want her to be able to reassess what she wants, even if it involves closing the Jeffersonian chapter of her life. As long as Daisy makes decisions that make her happy, I will be a satisfied viewer.
Since this post is already long, I will continue my thoughts in another future post. Part three will deal exclusively with the remaining squints. I have decided that since I still have a lot to address, I am going to make this a ten-part series. The goal is to write a new part every Tuesday from now, until the Season 12 premiere. From then on, I will be doing series wrap-up posts, and a final series letter. I think it will be fun! In the meantime, I will be focusing on some of my other writing projects, and goals.
No comments:
Post a Comment