Happy New Year, people of the Internet! I have not been feeling great about my writing recently, and therefore haven't been working on it as much as I want and need to. It has been a confusing, challenging, and weird couple of months, but I am actively trying to make things better for myself. This includes writing more often, even if it is just for fun. With that in mind, I have decided to start one of many new writing projects this year. I am trying not to overwhelm myself too much, because things never get done effectively (or at all) when I do, but I know that at least this first project is doable. I will be doing a full series, chronological re-watch of Bones in 2018! I have of course seen every episode, (many, many times) but I have never seen the full series in order, because it is fun to jump around the timeline to focus on specific narrative arcs. But, since it is the first calendar year that does not feature new episodes, I think now is the most appropriate time to re-visit the show. With re-watches, comes reexamination, and that is where this blog comes in. I have done some Bones meta before, and I did my "thank you" post when the series ended last March. But, one thing I have never done in written form, is discuss the greater nuances of the show. I certainly talk about Bones a lot, but I want to get better at articulating exactly why. It truly is the best show I have ever seen, and even if I never convince anyone else to watch it, I still want to use this new project to share my love of Bones with the universe. While it isn't technically necessary to re-watch episodes in order to discuss the series, I thought that it would be helpful to brush up on a couple of details that I may have forgotten. (I mean, my mind isn't infallible)! Also it is going to be a lot of fun!
My main objective is to re-watch one season per month. (Perfect because there are twelve seasons)! At the end of each month, I will be compiling my notes, commentary, and character analyses on what I consider to be the "essential" Bones experience. Not every episode is perfect, and I will discuss why. I will be discussing important narrative arcs, tonal shifts, or developments as they span across each respective season. I will be doing a breakdown of the most important episodes of each season, but these won't be mere plot recaps! These of course also won't be spoiler free. Basically, I want to use this space as a way to compile all of the thoughts and feelings that have been swirling around in my head for the past six and a half years. I want to find new ways to synthesize and consolidate the knowledge that I have about my favorite show, and hopefully share that joy with others! Additionally, between now and the end of the month, I will have something else new or in the works that is unrelated to Bones. But until then, I hope that anyone who reads this is having a good start to their year. I know that we could all use some more hope and optimism right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment